1. Create a PLAN
     Senior citizens living in special-care facilities should review the building’s emergency plans. Know where your medications and special medical equipment are located in case you need to have someone get it for you during an evacuation. Equipment such as wheelchairs, canes or walkers should be labeled with your name.
People living at home who are disabled or who have special medical needs should identify people who can help them during an emergency. Make sure these people know where you keep your emergency supplies and give someone a key to your house or apartment.
Medical alert tags or bracelets will help identify your disability if you need medical attention. If you need dialysis or another life-sustaining treatment, know the location of more than one facility.

2. Prepare a KIT
     A supply kit for people with functional needs should include:
  • A list of prescription and nonprescription medications and dosages
  • A list of allergies
  • Extra eyeglasses and hearing aid batteries
  • Extra wheelchair batteries or other special equipment
  • A list of the brand, style and serial numbers of medical devices
  • Copies of medical insurance and Medicare cards, state and Metrolink IDs
  • A list of doctors
  • An UPDATED list of emergency contacts and family (Make sure this is up to date in the registry!)
  • Telephone numbers of close neighbors who can help
3. LISTEN for information
     It is important to stay calm in an emergency. Get as much information about the situation as possible. If there is no electricity, make sure to have a battery-powered radio with extra batteries so you can listen for updates and instructions.
City, county, and state officials have developed emergency plans. In the event of an actual emergency, it’s important to follow their instructions and advice. They will provide you with the latest information.

The City of St. Louis will likely attempt to contact you by phone if your information in the registry is correct. Make sure your cell phone is charged and your landline is available. The City will attempt to leave a voicemail if you do not answer your phone, so make sure your answering machine or voice mailbox are connected and have room to accept messages.

Remember, if you have a personal emergency, call 911. The Functional Needs Registry does not guarantee emergency services in the event of a disaster.